Thursday, September 11, 2008

Lessons Learned


My first week as a mom . . . .





First of all - thank you all so much for all of your well wishes. Ella and I (and David) are doing really fabulously as we recover and learn more about loving each other every day. What a flood of changes and emotions this week has been!


Things I want to Remember (and would like to forget) about my first week as a mom:

1. Smooth as a baby's butt - when it's your baby this takes on a whole new meaning. I could run my hands over her soft little legs, feet, hands, and face all day long - but then she would get greasy from my skin oil and I would mess up her baby perfection.



2. Aromatic - I have always loved the smell of babies, but when Miss Ella is breast-feeding or snuggling up to mommy's shoulder I take long cleansing baby breaths because I know she won't smell this way forever.


3. No pain no gain - I know I read all about the pain of childbirth, labor, stretches and tears and all that, but I don't ever remember reading about bleeding like I'm making up for all the missed periods during my pregnancy, or about how uncomfortable just sitting on a toilet would be, or about how truly hard as a rock my milk makers would be every morning (which is really b/c Ella is a premie and she doesn't eat enough to empty them).


4. Take time to snuggle - no explanation necessary.






5. Every day brings change. A premie that eats like a horse, breastfeeds like a champ at 36weeks old, and is holding her head up some already can only mean we are in for a whirlwind of daily change and every moment is such a precious gift from God. We must remember to graciously thank Him in every day for every gift - for I know I never could have made such a beautiful new life without the ultimate life giver.



6.Where would we be without family? I am so thankful for the financial and emotional support and service we have received in just the first week. What an amazing gift to have two sets of loving, stable, god-fearing, still married grandparents for our new baby girl!!! (photo wit Nana to follow)

2 comments:

Craig.Kelly.Michaela.Carter.Madison said...

Ella is so beautiful. Enjoy every moment, because they grow up too quickly. That beautiful baby cry changes in months and they don't want to cuddle nearly as much in just one short year. You make me want to have another baby. Best wishes to the entire Idleman family.

Me and My Boys said...

She's precious! I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying to finding out all the wonders of motherhood! Blessings upon blessings-clarissa