We interrupt the current attempt to catch up the blog to bring you a special report . . . .

WELCOME TO THE WORLD . . . . . .
Miss Audrey Kay Idleman
Born:
Sunday February 6, 2011
at 3:40 a.m.
AT HOME
Timeline:
12:30 a.m. -
After a long evening of movie watching and snoozing on the couch while David helped my father-in-law work on some computer problems, I took a shower getting ready for bed. During said shower and following getting ready for bed -- 3-4 short contractions over 30 -60 minutes.
1:00 a.m. -
Read over my "preparing for labor" guide. Mild contraction coming maybe every 20 min. I wasn't convinced it wasn't false labor and David was very tired from working on computers so long and we agreed to try and get some rest and see how things go.
1:30 a.m. -
Contractions are now coming every 10 - 15 minutes and lasting 20-25 seconds.
1:45 a.m. -
I couldn't get David to wake up enough to discuss it so I decided to run a warm bath and if no better in a 15 minutes . . . call the doctor, etc.
1:50 a.m.-
1:50 a.m.-
As I ran the bath, one contraction made me empty my bowels and another made me empty my stomach.
The bathtub in question (side-note: this is the awesome spa tub which was my birthday present . . . and no, the bathroom isn't finished :))
2:00 a.m.-
2:00 a.m.-
Contractions lasting 35 - 40 seconds and no clock in the bathroom to time them. I hollered for David to wake up and call the doctor.
2:15 a.m. -
David called the nurse on call and told her the contractions were 2 min apart and lasting 45 - 50 sec ( b/c he timed them for me) and she said, "Wait 30 more minutes then head down" - keep in mind we live 1 hr drive from the hospital (which said nurse knew at the time)
2:20 a.m. -
David decides we are getting the car packed and leaving ASAP despite what the nurse says.
2:30 a.m. -
Contractions are still 2 min apart, but getting stronger with every contraction.
2:45 a.m. -
David is diligently packing while I breath through contractions. Water may have broken at this time, but I was still in the bath tub so I can't be sure. I was trying to move slowly towards draining the tub, drying off and getting dressed.
3:00 a.m. -
Car is packed, family has been called (while David runs in and out), Ella is sleeping soundly in her car seat. David is urging me to slowly get dressed. I notice the mucous plug in the bath tub.
3:15 a.m. -
I have my first contraction with the desire to push and realize this child is not going to wait for the hospital. I decide I would rather give birth at home than in the car.
3:30 a.m. -
I can feel my daughter's head crowning. I am breathing and pushing through the final contractions.
3:40 a.m. -
Audrey is born on the floor of our bathroom, caught by myself and David. She has the cord like a scarf on her neck but not tight, her color is good, and her cry is beautiful. We clean out her mouth, wiped down her face, tie off her cord with a rubber band, and wrap her in warm towels.
3:55 a.m. -
Placenta is delivered in the bathroom as well . . . and the bathroom is a complete disaster!!
4:00 a.m. -
We decide to call an ambulance to take Audrey and I to the local hospital instead of trying to get ourselves down to the hospital we were supposed to deliver to make sure everything is fine with the baby and myself.
4:20 a.m. -
I rinse myself off in the bathtub, get dressed (using a wadded up wash cloth to catch more bleeding b/c I have no sanitary pads from the last 9 months of no periods), and move slowly to the couch to wait for the ambulance with sweet, tiny Audrey still wrapped in a towel.
4:30 a.m. -
Ella wakes up in the car and Daddy brings her back inside to meet her new baby sister while we wait for the ambulance. Her face lights up with a huge grin and she says, "Mommy, baby Audrey is here. Baby Audrey is HERE." It still makes me tear up when I see that sweet, excited face.
4:40 a.m. -
Ambulance arrives and takes us to the hospital.
5:00 a.m. -
Mama and baby are both admitted, examined, and cared for at the local (and quite empty) hospital. We decided to stay put and not try to journey down to my "regular" delivery hospital b/c who knows if insurance would pay for an ambulance ride and they weren't going to let us drive ourselves.


6:00 a.m. (ish) -
My tears are all stitched up. Audrey is bathed, weighed-in, and cleaned. We are cuddling together in the hospital room, while Ella cares for her new baby doll (Named "baby Audrey" also).

What an unforgettable night! Although a home birth was not in our plans and is not for many people - there will never be another moment in my life like sitting on my own bathroom floor with only the love of my life, holding my own precious baby girl for the very first time.
No monitors - No IV lines - No nurses or doctors to whisk her away --
Just love and warmth flowing between the three of us.

P.S. To my very sweet husband - who handled the situation beautifully - I'm very sorry for the adrenaline rush, the anxiety, and the huge mess to clean up!!! I love you forever and always!!
7 comments:
Brianna,
This was a beautiful story! Thank you so much for sharing!
May God continue to bless your family!
Much love, Charlotte
WOW, what an incredible and exciting story!!! So glad you are safe and that everything worked out well. WOW!!! Praising God for your sweet little girl! Congratulations!!!
OH.MY.GRACIOUS!!!
What an AMAZING story! I am so glad that you are all healthy and that Audrey has arrived. God had his hand over y'all that night and morning!
Blessings to you and Audrey (and David and Ella)! What a fun adventure!
only you, Bri...
What an amazing story!
I hope you called a cleaning lady! I tease Jacob all the time that I'd be perfectly happy if things go so quickly that we never make it to the hospital, but he's not so sure. Just think of the financial savings :) I'm glad it all turned out ok and that all of you are healthy!
I'm trying to think of a more 'amazing' word than 'amazing'! I read this twice and cried both times. You are the calmest, coolest, collected-est woman EVER. Congratulations on your new daughter. She knows how to make an entrance already!
Thanks ladies! I've had several people (including my mom and grandma) also say "Only you, Bri" - what is with that? That's funny b/c I think of myself as a quiet person, but it's true that weird and exciting things always happen to me (well - to me and David). Weird :)
Post a Comment