Wednesday, January 15, 2014

To work or not to work . . . . . . my never ending question

Ever since I had that second line appear on the very first pregnancy test I ever took, I have been wrestling with the question of working and staying home. I find so much joy in motherhood and domestic life. I love sitting here blogging while my little darlin' colors and dances to "Belly Button". I love meeting Little Miss Sunshine off the bus and hearing about all the details of her day. I have less affinity for the daily domestic duties (ahem . . . . DISHES - why do we have to eat so often, DUSTING -of which I am literally allergic to, and SCRUBBING - esp the floor) but the Lord is helping me to slowly find the joy in these tasks as well. At the same time, I LOVE being a veterinarian. I love helping owners understand how to take care of their precious pets and I love learning new ways to keep them healthy and treat them to give the best quality of life. But then there is this . . .



How to balance these two passions is always, always on my mind. My new schedule since living in West Virginia has me feeling the most balanced. Looking at this picture reminds me of how torn I always felt in my last job leaving (especially all of the sudden for an emergency and Saturday mornings when we all wanted to snuggle in pajamas). In the end, I'm thankful for all the different hats I wear in life and I'm praying that each day I become better at balancing, giving my best in each situation, and keeping a thankful heart in where I am.

2 comments:

Abby and Jacob said...

Oh, I feel ya! I've been thinking about you and your new job and wanting to ask...but haven't. We need to set up a FB chat date :)

Allison Mhoon said...

Your words completely echo in my heart...such a tough struggle. It's hard to feel tugged in both directions and finding a balance isn't easy. I cut back after Madeline and then more after Oliver. Thankful for the current balance but I must confess that my emotions still catch me off guard in both boats. Trying to remember that my identity needs to stay in Christ and that He will guide us through each season. Sooooo thankful for a better schedule your way! Peace is such a blessing. May God continue to bless you as you follow Him. Much love!